Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 6

                After six days the compass says east for the first time. Today we drove into Texas and stopped at the U Drop Inn in Shamrock. It was a restored gas station that was done up to look like it was selling Conoco gas. We bought a couple of shirts and took some pictures. It was almost a somber event especially considering that our journey of 1,190 miles was now over. It is hard to imagine that we just started six days ago. We are not even half-way to California but it feels like we should be there lying in the sun. We did something that most people would find crazy. We took one of the longest ways possible to get to a little town in Texas. This trip was never really about the destination but it was all about the journey. My Camaro is dirty and my Father and I are tired but that is all part of it. My Father and I took a simple trip down to Texas. However, we did something much more epic. We turned our trip into an adventure. Getting lost, uncomfortable hotel beds, constant worrying about the car, going through questionable areas, and always being on the run are all part of the trip. We ate well, had fun, and saw the real America. Nobody is going to make a movie about Rolla, Missouri and that is all part of the charm. I turned sixteen today and it was not like I expected. I thought that I would wake up to Rush playing a live concert in my bedroom and be gifted a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T. Instead I woke up in a cheap hotel on the Oklahoma Texas line and I would not have it any other way. Everything was great, the car, my Dad, and of course the open road. I would like to thank everybody who followed the blog and of course all of the countries that followed along. I hope that people in The UK, China, India, Japan, Hungry, Australia, Canada, and The United States got a sense of what traveling The Mother Road is like. Finally I would like to thank my Mother for making this trip possible. She booked our reservations and just helped us along the way. She bought us books and I don't know what would have happened without her. Finally, she provided inspiration to do this trip. Thanks Mom.  I remember going up to races at Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin and not wanting to leave. I then remember my neighbor telling me that I had to leave to come back. My neighbor was right though, as I look out the grimy window of the car I can't help smile. I have my entire life in front of me and this trip is going to be one of my greatest memories. Life is so short and I hope that we all make the most of It. The trip is over but my trip never really ends.
( For the record, the planning for finishing the road is already in the works)
Facts Known By Few: The Corvette is considered to be an icon of Route 66.
Favorite Food: Chicken Burritos at Chelino's Mexican restaurant in Oklahoma City.
Two Favorite Songs:
1.       A Man I'll Never Be Boston
2.       My Way Frank Sinatra
Last Thoughts: We were standing in Shamrock and my Father asked if I wanted to keep going on down the road for a little bit longer. I said no because the wonder and amazement that comes with not knowing what is over the hill is so powerful. The lack of knowledge and the wonder is all part of it, it makes you want to come back.














4 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy says - Happy Birthday, too. Your descriptions are great. What a way to spend spring vacation!!!! Have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Mike! No one ever forgets their 16th birthday; but few experience it as you have. I'll be anxious to talk with you and see ALL the pictures. Enjoy the return drive. Larry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday a few days late Mike! Sorry I was only able to check-in before and after the actual trip, but reading through your entries it sounds like you and your Dad had a great experience!

    -Dave Johnson

    ReplyDelete